I’ve heard a lot of people asking how to apply nail polish to get the perfect application and to make it last. Here’s my tips and tricks to get that perfect application.
Prep is so important!
- Ensure the nail surface is clean and dry and the nail tips are an even length and shape.
- Lightly buff your nails to smooth any bumps
- Gently push your cuticles back using cuticle remover and a cuticle pusher or orangewood stick
- Cleanse nail using alcohol wipes or a small amount of polish remover on a pad
- Apply your choice of base coat to the nail and nail edge and allow to dry
- Use a thin layer and do not blow on it to dry it faster, this will create bubbling
- Roll the colour bottle between the hands to mix, never shake as this can cause air bubbles
- Only apply THIN coats of colour, polish applied too thick is prone to smudges and chips
- Wipe one side of the coated brush on the bottleneck, so it holds the right amount of polish for one nail, a small bead is all you need
- Present the brush to the nail, about 2mm away from the cuticle, then push the brush towards the cuticle before sweeping it back towards the nail tip
- Do this on each nail, allow to dry, then start again for a 2nd coat of colour, usually 2 coats is enough coverage
- Finally, apply a super shiny top coat and you’re all done!!
Allow to dry and apply a small amount of cuticle oil to each finger and rub around the cuticle area, this will prevent dry, ragged cuticles.
I would suggest topping up with top coat, every other day to make your polish last.
I expect your manicure to last a few days but aftercare is essential.
- Wear gloves when doing household chores
- Do not pick or pull at your polish
- Do not use your nails as tools
Treat your nails like precious jewels!
I hope this helps you, let me know in the comments below.